The main site menu consists of a set of buttons or links in a horizontal row underneath the site name and slogan:
Here’s a description of the menu items in the above image (left to right):
- Home – The page you see when you first visit the site.
- Activity – A listing of site activity; like the activity log on the Facebook site, it displays things that have happened on your profile, your friends’ profiles, and public changes to the site. What you see depends in part on how you’ve set your security settings.
- Blog – The place where I’ll post things about the site in general. If someone else wants to post a blog article, it will be put into a moderation queue for my approval (or not). Note that site wide announcements may also appear at the top of the right sidebar.
- Classifieds – Create and read classified ads. There’s no online response set up (or payment mechanism), so if you create one, put your contact information into it or ask people to send you a private message on this site. When you click on an ad, you’ll see the full information on the wall of the person who created it.
- Events – A simple event calendar for posting events of interest to past and present QC residents. If there are no current or future events in the calendar, the page will show as empty. To add an event, select Events/Create from the drop-down menu under your account name at the top right corner of the page.
- Forums – Here’s where most of the discussion and interaction will happen. I’ve set up a number of forums, and everyone is welcomed and encouraged to participate. I’m always open to creating new forums or making changes to existing ones. An example of a widely-used set of forums would be Yahoo! Groups, which some of you may have participate in.
- Link Library – A categorized set of links that members of the community may find interesting or useful. You can submit a link using the form at the bottom of the page, and it will be reviewed by a moderator for inclusion in the library.
- Members – Looking for another QC Social Network member? Here’s where you’ll find him or her. If your profile is public, it will appear here. This is one of the places where you can choose to friend members (or unfriend them).
- Contact – If you have questions or comments about the site that you don’t want to post in a forum, you can send me an email using this form.
The use of the profile menu under your name at the top right corner of the screen is covered in this topic. If you have further questions about the usage of the site that answered here, you can post your question in the Site Help forum.